We get asked why we love bamboo clothing all the time.
It’s still quite new in the market place, most people will know it as an eco-friendly fibre predominantly used for underwear, bed linen and baby clothes.
We have a long list of reasons why we love it for uniforms but here are the top 5 things that you might not know about Bamboo, and why we think you’ll love it too.
- ECO – FRIENDLY Bamboo is a plant that doesn’t need a lot of water to grow and can regenerate from its own roots. It grows quickly so it’s great for bamboo farmers (they get regular income no matter the weather). Plus – the eco-friendly crop growth won’t destroy nearby lakes or wildlife because there are no chemicals to infect the soil. Anything that doesn’t require pesticides, chemical fertilisers and a lot of precious water to grow certainly ticks some big planet friendly boxes for us.
- SOFT AS CASHMERE, STRONG AS STEEL Bamboo is a little bit shiny like silk, and feels just as soft as cashmere – but without the price tag. Naturally it’s as strong as steel (have you tried to snap a bamboo stem?)and becomes a durable material that is three times stronger than cotton, but also super luxurious to wear.
- SWEAT RESISTANT & QUICK DRYING Like cotton, bamboo is breathable but unlike cotton, bamboo is moisture wicking. This means that bamboo naturally draws water (and perspiration) away from the skin. This is everything when you’re working in a warm environment and prone to unsightly wet marks. It also dries in super quick time so that your laundry can be ready for duty soon after the wash. We blend our bamboo with a little polyester to be able to offer such easy care products. That way you can pop the alarm on snooze for an extra 10 minutes in the morning and cancel the ironing!
- WARM IN SUMMER, COOL IN WINTER It’s always tricky to plan an outfit when the heaters are on full blast during winter – and it’s zero degrees outside (we’re from Melbourne and frankly it’s difficult to plan an outfit any day of the year!). Bamboo is quite magical in that it’s self-regulating, so you’ll be comfortable in any temperature. Not only that, it won’t absorb odour so it doesn’t matter how sticky you might get while on duty – especially if you’re working in the tropics – you will stay fresh all day long.
- ANTIBACTERIAL Research shows that bamboo has natural antibacterial properties. This is so important for anyone working in a sanitised space. These anti-fungal properties have already made bamboo popular for making socks (especially for men) and products for babies, like towels and blankets. We know how important hygiene is in the service industry, so it’s an added bonus to be able to wear something that is also protecting your clients from additional nasties.
More info here